One of my favourite inventions is the pleating/ruffler foot for sewing machines- this magical device scoops the fabric into a nice even pleat with every stitch (or every six or twelve stitches depending on the setting). It's a massive time saver, and much more regular than pleating by hand. Though it still took hours to make this many metres, as preparing the strip for ruffling still involves much cutting, pressing and edging first.
I re cut the 'bertha', as this piece of neck decoration is called. The previous way I had cut it had the fabric going in to the armhole, and after a bit more checking of historical references I felt it was more correct for the front and back to meet at the shoulder seam and sit slightly over the sleeve seam. I am yet to affix it properly- just pinned in this photo.
I have affixed the ruffles on the skirt and the sleeve to give a stronger contrast between the fabrics.
And finally today I have begun hand stitching the white diamonds to the purple ones- I want them to sit flat on top of one another, but don't want a visible stitching line, so hand stitching is the way forward!
No comments:
Post a Comment