Thursday, 6 October 2016

Tuesday

The cape has been slowly advancing this week- apologies for the lack of updates! In addition to the factory photo printed fabric, I have included bits of other fabrics that feature in the main dress, in order to give some continuity to the outfit. I have also included some stripey colour test fabric in the lining of the cape, which I found in the factory shop at Standfast last year. It seemed to be to be something you would only find at the factory, and not generally for sale elsewhere. Plus it says a little something about the printing process- so why not include it!

I have sewn in hook and eye tape as a fastening for the bodice- but before I did this, I took the length of hook and eye tape, and dyed it pink, so it is less eye catching if you can see it slightly when worn.

I have ordered two cutrain tie back tassels to finish the hood off- as many from this era had two tassels on them. They would render the hood decorative and not practical though, as one of the tassels would the hang over the face if the hood were up! Still, this seemed to be the way of the fashion, and often cape hoods were not full anyway- but pretend decorative ones that couldn't be put up.

After the earlier photos were taken I added another ruffle to the bottom of the cape in turquoise, and a thin decorative stripey ruffle along the cape lining, to mask the stitching line for the hem and give an extra detail.

In a slightly less colourful realm, I have been having to think about what I shall wear in the film that is made of the model being dressed in the costume. As the assistant to this process, its likely that I shall be seen in the film too- and so I need to be wearing something appropriate. I have had two main directions of thought for what this might be- either a Victorian maid's outfit to match the era and world of the dress, or a modern worker type outfit in order to blend in with the factory. In the end I settled more for the modern day look, as that should take less attention away from the dress itself. Something that blends in seemed like a good way to go, so I hit the charity shops in hunt of grey. The workers in Standfast don't seem to have a standard uniform- just comfortable practical clothing. I discovered a couple of linen shirts with a suggestion of Victorian style pleats and details, and thought it might be nice to build the outfit around them, to keep a flavour of the old and new in the outfit.
I'm pleased with the over all colour theme, as it is quite non-descript, and is reminiscent of the background colour in parts of the factory, but also not unlike the colour in some of the old photographs of Victorian workers I have recently been looking at! 

This week also included a trip to the factory to re walk through the proposed locations for the film. It was handy to refresh our minds of what is to come (and to pick up a little more fabric from the factory shop of course!). I liked this interesting steam machine! In this photo you can see a lot of the grimy grey colour of the clothes above- I'm thinking of working into them a bit and making them look well used and paint splattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment